The girls and I just watched a National Geographic film about how Christianity spread in Rome. It claimed that the poor converted first because Christians cared for the sick--free healthcare. Then, it purported that in 300 AD, the rich started converting because they found a new avenue for gaining power.
I have 2 arguments to this idea.
1) Poor & Rich would not convert because of healthcare & position/power because the risk was the Colosseum and death by lions. It doesn't make sense that "If I convert, I will get help with my sickness and be cared for and also possibly lose my life."
2) The Bible--if taken only as a historical document (of which there are more original copies than any other ancient literature)-- cites many examples (in the Gospel & Acts) of rich people following and converting to Jesus in the first century.
If the authors of this flick would have been honest, they would have studied the testimonies of people that were burned alive, chopped, and eaten by lions to see why THEY said they were Christians.
natgeotv.com
4 comments:
True Hols, but we can't expect Nat.Geo. to be all Jesus loving can we. Everyone has an agenda some kind of way.
xo
I played this for my kids and helped them be discerning, but how much of this crap is pumped into kids minds and no one helps them?
National Geographic and other historical documentarians do have agendas, but does anyone care? It seems to me that line upon line of this is detrimental to the next generation.
Holly it seems that human beings who are in a position to influence how a nation thinks can always use that position to promote their agenda. If we looked to our history books in the early 20th century you will find nary a word about the contributions that black people made to this country, the wars that they fought in, the businesses they established.... but eventually it comes out ....unfortunately usually a long time after the words were first printed. I think it's a good thing you are doing to teach the kids to be discerning!
Did you write or call National Geo? Accountability is good, and processing w/your kids is good. You're a good mom
xo
Post a Comment