So I've been deep in homeschool land...prepping Abi's first grade curriculum. The purpose of Art is sehr controversial, so I thought you may be interested on my take...I don't feel satisfied with my Biblical support of my ideas...I think there are better Scriptures. What do you think?
Biblical Purpose of Art 1. Our artistry glorifies God . As his creation, he made us capable of great creativity and self government. When we excel in art, it makes Him look good.
2. Art encourages us. We can see and feel God’s love for us when we observe, reflect and represent his handiwork in art. Ps 19:1: “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork.” Eccl. “He made everything beautiful in its time.” Phil 4:8 “whatsoever things are lovely..think on these things.” Prov. 23:7 “For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.”
3. Art teaches us about God. When we observe and copy his art, we understand his love, omnipotence, orderliness and precision in every detail.
5 comments:
I think art increases awareness. Not so much awareness for certain 'issues' but it requires a certain slowing down and tuning in to something. Studying\learning about art teaches you how to observe too. I think growing in thease areas is also way beneficial to the Christian life in general.
Here's my two cents Hols. I bring an 'artist of the week' to Gabe and Eva as part of their home school curriculum. My challenge to Gabe last year was, "Why do we look at the works of these artists....why are they memorable? Why?"
My sense is that creativity is a great gift of God. He could have given us a black and white, monotone world. But He did not...
...because HE's CREATIVE.
He loves beauty and variation and expression and wild color and subtle color, and sound and all the rest. He loves the monks praying as they reproduce their beautiful scrolls, and Stomp!
He's the King of Creation!
I think that as we create we tap into that characteristic of God. I don't know that you can just support all opinions in scripture, but God definitly had an opinion when he ordered up the temple. Colors, shapes, demensions, they all had a meaning to Him.
Art altogether I think is a symbol of something deeper, connective with our spirit and emotions. It's not just a picture, it's a meaning, even if it only means that to me.
observation is huge. i agree on that one. Abi has done some amazing "blinded" pictures and is learning to draw what she actually sees...chad's doing a great job with that.
i agree that art is a great gift. Sometimes it seems to me that God delights in us like a Father looking at his son trying to pound a bent nail or create a beautiful carved piece. He's doing like his dad. I had the same feeling when I let the girls make a wreathe this week. It was sargeant Abi taking out her sister's leaves and putting them "just so" and it turned out amazing. You would never know kids made it.
Post a Comment