"College used to ensure future financial security, but now it ensures future financial slavery."
I confess I did it for shock value. I don't really believe EVERYONE will be enslaved.
I'm not against college. I am against massive debt accumulation. Here's a window to my world. These are people that I love and care about. I am devoted to seeing their children nourished, the marriages grow and their families be strong, maintaining our faith for generations to come.
I friend of mine home schools her kids, but feels pressured by her husband to pay off her school loans (20,000). Who suffers if she works? (Thankfully she's not.) I'll tell you its the kids. They don't get fresh homemade cookies when they come home from school. They get left in after school care.
Another friend of mine graduated with (30,000) of debt. She also stays home to home school her kids. She often feels pulled to take on the financial responsibility of the debt she contributed to the marriage. If she works, who suffers? The kids. Its "run by McDonalds, I'm too tired to cook" for them.
I know a pastoral couple who accumulated in the $30,000.00 range of debt. She was pregnant when I met them. He told me flatly, "She has to work to pay off the loans." Who suffers? The little wee one who ends up in "Keepers Daycare." (An ironic name when you consider Titus 2)
I have heard of young people denied by mission boards because of their school debt.
I know another couple that wracked up debt to go to Bible school. I find that ironic. What pastor ever got a salary that could pay of a 20,000 plus per year Bible school like Wheaton? If you know, please comment below.
I have heard of beauty school graduates with 30,000+ school debt. Now there is a money making career.
Or people that go to DePaul for teaching! Of all professions that are poorly underpaid in Chicago, that's one. How will they ever pay it back?
Now here's one a really don't understand: I met a couple in their 40's that quit pastoring and were both working (kids at home still in school will be eating frozen pizza for 4 years) steadily to pay off their own college debt. Then they tell me how excited they were that their daughter wanted to go to Columbia!! I almost choked. Are you serious? Do you want to her to be 46 enslaved and working like you? Thankfully, this couple jumped on the CLEP idea (see below) and I hope it will save them all alot of money.
Not only do students accumulate debt, but they feel entitled to purchase a home before they have kids and ADD to their debt load.
I can't believe the cost of IIT. I posted on fb the 60,000.00 a year cost x 4 = 120,000 college education: the COST OF A HOUSE. People don't realize they are running a business. They are falling for the best sales ploys ever!!
The real shame in all this is that there are more ways these days to go to school cheaply than ever before. Somehow, people seem to miss that. I'm not sure why.
Like:
CLEP tests. 1- $100 test =$1,000.00 of college tuition= end result is the same=6 credits.
Community College
Online learning (Cuts R&Board)
Technical schools
Apprenticeships
Or here's a novel one: Teach Yourself. That's what my husband did after completing his 4 year double major. He went into a totally different field and taught himself.
I confess I did it for shock value. I don't really believe EVERYONE will be enslaved.
I'm not against college. I am against massive debt accumulation. Here's a window to my world. These are people that I love and care about. I am devoted to seeing their children nourished, the marriages grow and their families be strong, maintaining our faith for generations to come.
I friend of mine home schools her kids, but feels pressured by her husband to pay off her school loans (20,000). Who suffers if she works? (Thankfully she's not.) I'll tell you its the kids. They don't get fresh homemade cookies when they come home from school. They get left in after school care.
Another friend of mine graduated with (30,000) of debt. She also stays home to home school her kids. She often feels pulled to take on the financial responsibility of the debt she contributed to the marriage. If she works, who suffers? The kids. Its "run by McDonalds, I'm too tired to cook" for them.
I know a pastoral couple who accumulated in the $30,000.00 range of debt. She was pregnant when I met them. He told me flatly, "She has to work to pay off the loans." Who suffers? The little wee one who ends up in "Keepers Daycare." (An ironic name when you consider Titus 2)
I have heard of young people denied by mission boards because of their school debt.
I know another couple that wracked up debt to go to Bible school. I find that ironic. What pastor ever got a salary that could pay of a 20,000 plus per year Bible school like Wheaton? If you know, please comment below.
I have heard of beauty school graduates with 30,000+ school debt. Now there is a money making career.
Or people that go to DePaul for teaching! Of all professions that are poorly underpaid in Chicago, that's one. How will they ever pay it back?
Now here's one a really don't understand: I met a couple in their 40's that quit pastoring and were both working (kids at home still in school will be eating frozen pizza for 4 years) steadily to pay off their own college debt. Then they tell me how excited they were that their daughter wanted to go to Columbia!! I almost choked. Are you serious? Do you want to her to be 46 enslaved and working like you? Thankfully, this couple jumped on the CLEP idea (see below) and I hope it will save them all alot of money.
Not only do students accumulate debt, but they feel entitled to purchase a home before they have kids and ADD to their debt load.
I can't believe the cost of IIT. I posted on fb the 60,000.00 a year cost x 4 = 120,000 college education: the COST OF A HOUSE. People don't realize they are running a business. They are falling for the best sales ploys ever!!
The real shame in all this is that there are more ways these days to go to school cheaply than ever before. Somehow, people seem to miss that. I'm not sure why.
Like:
CLEP tests. 1- $100 test =$1,000.00 of college tuition= end result is the same=6 credits.
Community College
Online learning (Cuts R&Board)
Technical schools
Apprenticeships
Or here's a novel one: Teach Yourself. That's what my husband did after completing his 4 year double major. He went into a totally different field and taught himself.
2 comments:
Not everyone is as smart as your hubs. Or as creative. I agree about debt accumulation, but there are ways to stretch out college and live cheaply so it's affordable. It's true that colleges charge way more than they are worth. It's also true that most folks will want to or need to work at some point in their life. Having some credentials or a college certificate helps. Most jobs I am looking at require a bachelors degree, which I do not have. It's a real detriment. xo
For those already deeply in debt...how do you pay it back? Sacrifice. How do you pay off a house? Sacrifice. How do you put your kids through college? Sacrifice. Live cheaply. One day at a time. Getting out of debt is not nearly as fun and easy as getting in to debt. But it can be done. The financial choice to get out of debt takes a daily choice to trust God to help you do the hard thing.
Post a Comment