I've traveled overseas: Romania, Brazil, and Germany. I've been to Mexico. Why does this trip to Ethiopia not excite me? I feel so nervous about it. I've been reading the agency guidebook and there are so many rules. ugh maybe that's it.
And then there's the GI infection fear... most Ethiopians struggle with that anyways and we'll be eating hotel food. "Don't eat the salad" they say, its not washed with filtered water.
The gov't there isn't exactly stable. They put down their opposition to the latest vote. Will I somehow get stuck there?
Our agency recommended spending 110$ for a visa vs. the 20$ one you can get at their airport. What happens if we take the risk? Will I be taken advantage of?
I've seen beggars in Europe but this is a starving country. The agency over and over talks about using discretion: don't hand money to someone, give it to your guide to give to them etc. How will I handle their poverty?
Dang. I'll need some prayer for this one.
2 comments:
Your wisest course is to do as Moses did at the Red Sea, “Stand still and see the salvation of God.” Spurgeon
You will be ok. You will make mistakes but it is a country of people. Remember they are people- perhaps you will find great honor and safety and joy and nobility in the midst of a dodgy government and poverty, and not just the worst traits of mankind.
Post a Comment