Monday, July 4, 2011

spiritual education

I grew up with a pretty experienced based spiritual education. My father was disinterested in a moral traditional faith. He was looking for an experience of God that was other-worldly. His quest for the supernatural meant that I heard stories of healings, healers.. that I saw dramatic movements of the Holy Spirit among his people. Not only that but "hearing God" took on an experiential form as well. To get a prophetic word was to hear God. This was tempered by Scripture. I watched my father faithfully read his Catholic version of the Bible even as a member of a non-denominational charismatic church. On the whole, my father lived out his faith by attending meetings, serving, and leading in the local fellowship besides leading his own family to God through Bible story reading, Bible games, and family communion.

Other people have had a spiritual education that was more Scripture focused. Scripture was authoritative and applicable without a "rhema" word for that moment i.e. "If you have a problem, the Scripture has an answer." It has been helpful for my marriage and parenting to move in this direction; however, a spirituality devoid of experience is not what I'm aiming for with my children.

I want my children to reverence the Word as bread for life. Not only that, but I want them to have a deep experience of the Lord personally--his love and his power. But How? This balance is tricky. I must seek out this experiential faith for them. I must lead them into it at home, as well. I want to live love that puts skin on faith. I must show them the relevant Word. I want to habitually take them to Scripture when they have problems and show them the life giving answers.

8The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure and bright, enlightening the eyes. (Ps 19)

25 But as for me I know that my Redeemer liveth, And at last he will stand up upon the earth: 26 And after my skin, even this body , is destroyed, Then without my flesh shall I see God; 27 Whom I, even I, shall see, on my side, And mine eyes shall behold, and not as a stranger. My heart is consumed within me. (Job 19)

3 comments:

joan.ekimball said...

You are doing this now Holly.

Holly said...

yes trying and revamping .... a new thing for the girls...they each have colorful file boxes and colored file cards to write down any new Scriptures they learn from church or home.... They are creating a topical file... for problems they have, for encouragement. I hope they will learn to meditate, when they need to, on the verses they have learned.

Holly said...

I also found "God Chasers" by Tommy Tenney for kids... more on the experiential side of things.