So many problems stem from a misplaced identity...I like how recovery gets at this. This
book is a daily meditation from Al Anon. It states, "I am certainly learning from criticism, and I want to remain open to hearing what others have to say, but neither my popularity nor my ability to please those I live and work with are legitimate measures of my worth as an individual..."
3 comments:
God was just telling me something just like that in my devotions. I started at my new school yesterday, and besides enjoying working with such a large number of competent, caring people (!) I feel the stress of proving myself; of showing I'm the real deal.
I just wrote in my journal, "What I hear from God is not that I need to show my colleagues what's up - to prove that I'm the real deal - but to remember that the Pillar of Fire is with me - whether I succeed or fail - whether I'm the real deal or not." And that thought gives me real peace.
All that to say, thank you for your post. It's a good reminder that others are flowin' down the same stream.
What others say about me doesn't measure my worth.
Yes I have the right to share what I want, need, think and feel. I don't always share it though. Truth has a price. For me sometimes the price is greater than I can bear.
getting the truth in where it counts is the hard part, but we are growing and coming to believe more everyday..
Yea Brian...its "do i have what it takes?" vs. "He is with me. I am his." We will never be able to avoid some kind of failure and then what? We can strive or give up but neither option provides the peace we need. Only finding our value in Him and our comfort in his abiding presence.
Post a Comment