Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Significance


I felt angry and asked myself, "Why?". Because despite back spasms from working so hard to keep my house clean, its still too ugly too decorate for Christmas. My work seems meaningless and I feel insignificant and worthless because of it. Can anyone relate? Today, I read that Jesus said, "Greater love has no man than this that he lay down his life for his friends." Wow. I feel myself good in my own skin again.

PS. Yes Thomas has been eating too much pumpkin!

9 comments:

Matthew said...

I do relate to never ending mess and lousy living space. Since moving we simply don't have very much and I was feeling like the apartment is not the way I'd like it to be, to look. On top of that I feel sometimes a little pressured that it has to be outstanding. That coupled with the fact that it's so small a sock on the floor makes the place look a wreck, is frustrating. Then Marissa reminded me, "you are not your things" and I felt better. There's nothing like a little perspective

Matthew said...

For me it's always been hard to define myself in a way that doesn't incorporate what I do, what I look like, or what I have.

joan.ekimball said...

big temptations:
i am what i have,
i am what i do,
i am what others say about me.
so easy to say....so difficult to fight off. its hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

here's another thing:
most people wd kill for the kind of relational loving care that you guys are working towards in your marriage and family. do you realize how incredibly rare and amazing that is?
i know...
who freaking cares how relationally progressive it is, if i feel like crap abt my living space. but you've made the most important thing, the most important thing. that's truly great holly child.

when i went over my christmas notes from last year, i had written down
"is my heart as nicely decorated as i want my house to be?" well a big OOPS on that one.

wish i was there to help hols. have you prayed? see what Jesus says to you...and then let me know k?

wyofaith said...

I went over to a friends house today. She is an incredible missionary, teacher, base leader's wife, mother of a toddler. Just an amazing woman that I love to be around. Anyways, I went to her house and it was a mess. Truly, in the meaning of the word, it was a mess. And you know what I felt? Ahhhhhh. I felt so comfortable there.
I think we think that Others think way more about our mess than they do.
Ha- we were just having lunch with a friend who brought her dog to our house with her. Before she even left we had more guests coming in the front door. Unfortunatly her dog had crapped on the carpet right in front of the door, so that's the first thing they saw apon entering. Sometimes you can kill yourself cleaning and still make a bad impression!

wyofaith said...

P.S. That is the best family picture you guys have ever taken and Thomas is perfect.

Holly said...

that's uplifting sister! yes matt...i suppose thats the flesh. want to go deeper and get freeer (he)

mummers said...

Somehow I know that back in the day of the cave, the women were saying the same thing - doesn't anybody EVER pick up their clubs, their bones, their mammoth hides?????? Because the theme here is one that I've dealt with over the years too -- remember the clarion call -- PEOPLE over THINGS! And the people includes US.

wyofaith said...

I love Bethan's chokehold on Thomas. Now that's some lovin'.

Larky Park said...

I hope this isn't squelching the truth or laying a weird hope, but in the chaos of my home most days, I just pick one spot that I keep pretty or organized (like the top of my dresser in my upstairs bedroom closet) It's small, but somehow makes me feel sane.

The hard part for me is that it's hard for me to even THINK when my house is a crazy-mess. I love the idea of baskets for each person in the house. Just do the sweep up and pop everyones' crap into their basket - leave the real clean-up for before bedtime. Or the next morning...