Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Satan steals/ God heals

At the West African braid shop, I met a Nigerian young woman.  It got me thinking about the Chibok girls.  The Nigerian had the terrible experience of being in a private girls school just like the one the Chibok girls attended at the same time that those girls were stolen away to be sex slaves, forced wives and murderers for the Boka Haram.  They have not found the girls yet.  I think of them.  I know some of them are Christians.  It reminded me of a friend of mine in Chicago who was gang raped at the tender age of 13 and spent her first two highschool years in a mental hospital pregnant with the child of one of her abusers.  And I pray for her and the girls that they would have faith in God and know his love despite the abuse.  And the question crosses my mind like most people, "God why did you allow it?  Are you really who you say you are?  Good and loving?"

Then, I am reminded of a story of a young African boy who was thrown in a box and lit on fire.  He survived and as a Christian, his explanation of his experience was essentially, "Satan steals, God heals".  He did not blame God for the evil inflicted on him, but he blamed the Devil.

Ultimately because God allows evil we blame God and question His nature.  We want the evil people to be struck by a lightning bold--yesterday!  And we judge that as perfect justice, but God does have a day of judgement.  His timing is not ours.  But its because he is loving and just that he has not only appointed a day of judgement, but he has provided a sufficient sacrifice for sin-- for those who believe.  Jesus represents the fullest expression of his love and justice.  The gift of His Son shows his love for us, the suffering and sacrifice of the sinless man satisfy his justice.

I know that God is offering out hands to heal to these women and girls who have suffered.  He holds out his hands and offers them love and comfort. He wants to speak tenderly to their hearts and surround them with the warmth of his love.


No comments: