Monday, July 23, 2012

What spirit fits a girl?

Recently we watched American girl movies, "Felicity" and "Molly".   Advertisers call them "spirited", "independent" and/or "plucky" girls.  Is this the spirit that a christian girl should seek after to possess?
Scripture encourages women to be gentle, trusting of God, quiet, submissive, caring, servant-hearted, industrious and entrepreneurial.

 "Spirited" and "Plucky" could refer to courageous strength.  Molly does good works despite her losses.  However Felicity's spirit is a merciful, yet deceitful, headstrong, pursue-my-goal-at-any cost kind of spirit.  "Independent" seems to stand at odds with the picture I see in Scripture for the godly woman.  She is dependent, on her husband and even more dependent on her God--and its that trust in an almighty loving God--that gets her through.  I don't think many American girls today like that idea.  Maybe that's why we have so much trouble. And divorce.

Independence is a back bone quality of Americans.  We built this country carving it out with our knarled pioneer hands despite dying children, dying husbands, droughts, and disease.  We haven't the Asian idea of communal life.  Wilderness women out West still say "make do our do without"--men included.  Ask Bonnie Whitt about the barn she disassembled and reassembled alone.  Is has been our strength, but I don't want it to be my girls downfall.

The only way to depend on your spouse is to depend on God.  Codependency leaves God out.   And independence leaves men out.  And I think the pluckiest women, are those who submit.  But hope in someone greater gives women this courage and this joy.


3 comments:

joan.ekimball said...

Oh my Holly. You've put a lot out there in this post. God's girls need to be strong, seems to me. You are strong, right? And a Jesus follower all the way. I have been the pic of codep. I have had to learn strength. Balance is key, but strong girls will have the guts to tell guys in Aldi's not to steal. It's good.

Holly said...

ha ha i was just telling abi that story--I remember telling him, "Don't do that. I'll buy it for you." Sadly, it was meat he was stealing.

Mikey said...

'It has been our strength, but I don't want it to be our downfall.'

Could be said of a lot of things! Good quote.