Thursday, December 15, 2011

Advent

More than ever this Christmas I have felt a longing to connect with the presence of my Lord. The traditional decorating leaves me feeling dull and empty, but Jesus fills all, refreshes, satisfies. The old ways of having a happy Christmas feeling: I'm not interested in anymore. I want to drink of him and the deep of what this advent season means. There is so much to meditate on.

I've simplified. Less gifts, less shiny things, and I am pushing for more. I want more of Him. I am reading Kaiser's "The Messiah in the Old Testament". I am reading Ann Voskamp's journal and Jesse Tree devotional. I am so thankful for the guidance I find there. Who else has the radical love for Christ and the poor like she does? I look around and I don't see much radical. But she lives it. She challenges me.

And He is here. He is my peace, my light, my joy. When my desire is set on Him, there in no disappointment, no after gift downer. When he is central, there is energy to love-- to BE a blessing rather than wish, require, or expect one. I want to live in that love.

2 comments:

mummers said...

Sorry, Hols, I only meant to have some fun with Abs and bless her young heart that still enjoys the sights of Christmas.

Holly said...

I always enjoy when OTHERS do it for me, just not feeling doing it myself. It was a gift to me AND to Abi, truly.