Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A Living History at Greenfield Village Detroit

Wow what a great living history experience!  Inspiring figures like Edison, George Washington Carver and Daniel Webster have homes here along with many others.

 Edison invented this machine that used mica to vibrate a needle that scratched sound--the first recorded human voice.  It reminds me of Charlotte Mason who said, "the Holy Spirit co-operates in teaching every fruitful idea."  What a fruitful idea Edison received from the Holy Spirit, wisdom from heaven...
 Edison embodied hard work and perseverance.  40 other scientists were trying to find a filament for the electric lightbulb, but Edison tested without quitting here in his laboratory (which Ford brought from New Hampshire, I believe).
 That ghost is my sister in law nursing.  Poor girl thought she found a quiet spot that was soon filled with people to watch the Young Edison drama.  The girls were really engaged in these little skits.  They made the buildings and artifacts a living story.  They were really good actors.




The hundred year old carousel had handcarved wooden animals.  The kids were really excited to do the "rides". 


You can see on the road behind the girls what we'll try next....


The was a horse drawn omnibus.  We were able to get a homeschool discount--saved us 100.00$ or more.  We went for 10$ a person with rides including adults.  Usually, the cost is 25-30$ without rides.  So we road everything we could!


The girls are hiding in the cellar of George Washington Carver's memorial.  They were brave enough to let their cousin close the door on them!!


No, I  am not pregnant.  LOL.  This was a really fun ride for me.  I imagined myself driven by Toad from the Wind and the Willows.  And I realized why the needed goggles!! It was so windy going 7 miles an hour!


I didn't get a shot of the coal powered train but I brought some of it home on my all white outfit.   The rides were the last stops and really helped the kids enjoy a whole day at Greenfield Village.  I highly recommend it.  We did not see everything in one day, but what a gorgeous day it was!!

No comments: