My temperament in wiki:
Choleric
A person who is choleric is a doer. They have a lot of ambition, energy, and passion, and try to instill it in others. They can dominate people of other temperaments, especially phlegmatic types. Many great charismatic military and political figures were cholerics. On the negative side, they are easily angered or bad-tempered.
[edit] Melancholic
A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very kind and considerate, melancholics can be highly creative – as in poetry and art - but also can become overly pre-occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world, thus becoming depressed. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist, being very particular about what they want and how they want it in some cases. This often results in being dissatisfied with one's own artistic or creative works and always pointing out to themselves what could and should be improved. They are often loners and most times choose to stay alone and reflect.
The "easily angered" and "bad tempered" and "preoccupied with tragedy and cruelty in the world" parts of me is why I am in Celebrate Recovery. This christian 12 step program has really helped me with these shortcomings. I have become better able to predict situations and times where I will get angry and am learning to trust in God's sovereignty and love for the world more and more.
Parenting forced me to come to terms with my shortcomings and the reality that unless I deal with them, my kids will not only be wounded by them but may take them on, as well. Not only that, but my kids can not learn from me when I "teach" in anger or with underlying hostility...they can only hear and listen when they are not on the defense. Reality check this past few weeks has been Bethan beginning to raise her voice. Its not her nature, she gets it by nurture. I don't think I'll ever "get there" and be perfect, but I hope to be like Marmie in Little Women who could relate to Joe's temper but had mastered herself. I want to control so many things and people, yet I am the one out of control. In Celebrate Recovery I have learned that the way to master oneself is to admit powerlessness and need and dependency on a loving God. Yielding to his Spirit empowers me to live as the gentle and quiet woman. Did Marmie attend AA?
4 comments:
Was her husband a drinker? Or some other ....aholic?
No, SHE had a temper!
Another one of the classics I'm going to have to read!! Let's say re-read, as I have forgotten it ALL since childhood.
I think she was a closet medicinal drinker. On her dark side, I also think she was a control freak. Do you even remember Mr. March? Crowded into a dusty corner by his "got it all together" wife.
Post a Comment