Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Nature in the City...at the end of our alley...


B is growing so beautiful by the day...a blooming 11 1/2 year old.  We have been enjoying studying Beautiful Girlhood and the Companion guide by Shelley Noonan.



Today was a hard day.  Zoning in on the weak areas in our lives can be discouraging.  I know I was not the gentle and compassionate mom that I dream to be.  She left me an apologetic note, too.  Despite a poopy day, I am excited to start a new school year with her.  We'll be using Charlotte Mason via ambleside.com otherwise known as AO.  The philosophy is to provide kids with living books rather than textbooks, that is, books written by people passionate about their subject.  So since I'm using a new curriculum,  I have been trying furiously to read ahead of her this summer.  Some interesting reads already:

Josephine Tey's "Daughter in Time" a history mystery that teaches critical thinking about history books..
Oxford Book of Poetry... midieval poetry
"More than a Carpenter" by Josh McDowell.. a simple apologetic
Just started, the classic, "How to Read a Book"

No comments: