Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Breaking out of the homeschool rut today

 Chad dropped us at the train.
 Fresh and ready for an adventure at Harold Washington Library!
 Kids ate lunch and finished up studies with an interesting man talking to himself in the background there...kinda funky but heh, this is Chicago.
 A beautiful place to explore!
Closed stack books we wish we could take home....Dad would be happy to see his favorite Hoosier poet, "James Whitcomb Riley".  I loved the Robert Lawson illustrated Pilgrim's Progress.  The "My Book House" is part of a series I thought I was collecting, but come to find out wasn't the series at all.  My Book House has beautiful illustrations.  I found a illustrated Tolkien for Abigail.  And a couple Swedish authors...    The "Cross Country Cat" has cool lighting in the illustrations and a good 2nd grade read.
 This dollhouse has witch's feet from "Wizard of Oz" and and Alligator in the Bathtub, the Cat and the Fiddle and other fun finds for the kids...
 Its the library in the library.
The girls spent a few hours in the Maker lab with wood and a lazer cutter machine while I went searching for an ancient book with a good commentary on Milton.  Yea!  Found it on the 6th Floor!

 Abigail holds the lazer cut earring tree the girls made.  We are looking forward to more time in here.  Tom loved the 3D printers at work making little toys...
 On our way home, wiped but happy.

A little girl is grumpy in my lap--hiding--  I tell them this is what it feels like to not have an afternoon quiet time...:-)   

2 comments:

mummers said...

What a delightful day that must have been! Let's just say that the doll house and laser cutters put your library WAY ahead of ours in the coolness factor. However, I have hope for the future....our library is going to be shut down from May until next February for a complete renovation.....let's hope for a dollhouse!!!!!

Holly said...

I totally want you guys to go with us sometime... maybe stay the night so we can go in the morning on the train. Our train lets you off right in front of the doors!! so cool