Thursday, February 11, 2010

adoption and poverty...seems unfair

The main African country doing adoptions now is Ethiopia...so I have been thinking about Ethiopia. One of the main reasons for giving a child up for adoption is poverty...the inability to feed and care for your child.

So it seems so messed up to me that I would get to raise a child because... I have money and opportunity; whereas, this Ethiopian mother has to give hers up because she has neither. It seems so unfair.

What do you all think?

Chad says its a solution for the big problem of poverty and that in the past those children might have been sold into slavery or given up at too young age to be married etc.. like it could be much worse. (Ps..I am probably misquoting him somewhat)

3 comments:

joan.ekimball said...

What is best for the child Holly?

Holly said...

its a good question...my friend Dinora said that this child's mother is probably HOPING her child wont stay in an orphanage forever but would have a home...

Holly said...

and probably the children who are in these orphanages would want homes...but what they would REALLY want is to be in a home with their parents...that's the hard part..it just isn't going to happen for them unless some how the country gets on its feet.